• This is based off the traditional southern folk song "Cotton-Eyed Joe", which
predates the Civil War.
• Possible meanings of the term "cotton-eyed" include:
- to have been blinded by drinking wood alcohol or moonshine
- an African-American with very light blue eyes
or the contrast of dark skin to the whites of his eyes
- someone whose eyes were milky white from disease (syphilis, cataracts, glaucoma)
All lyrics are property and copyright of their respective authors, artists and
All lyrics provided for educational purposes only. Please support the artists by
purchasing related recordings and merchandise.